Jul

Buffalo Safari Jeep Ride at Custer State Park

by Katlyn Richter on July 11, 2013 · 6 comments

Custer State Park is a South Dakota staple that many visitors enjoy while on their vacation through the state. The park is the second largest state park in the nation, boasting 71,000 acres of land filled with wildlife and countless breathtaking views.

The Wildlife Loop Road through the park is a visitor favorite and provides great opportunities to see the roaming bison, prairie dog towns, the begging burros and antelope. This loop road is open to anyone who has paid admission into the park. The entry fee is just $6 per vehicle for a day pass (or $30 for a year of entry to all state parks if you’re a regular). It sure is an affordable way to enjoy fine South Dakota scenery like the wildlife, beautiful lookouts, and Needles formations throughout the park.

Custer Resorts also offers a Buffalo Safari Jeep Ride through the park. I’ve been to the park dozens of times, and have been on a jeep ride a handful of times. Each time, I know I’m in for a ride! The staff members that drive the jeeps are well educated about the park, the Black Hills area, and the animals that call the park home. I always know I’m in for a treat and bound to learn something new.

This time, we had Dave as our driver. Immediately I clicked with Dave as he might have been sassier than I am! We had a great time playing park trivia, bumpin’ along looking for buffalo, and seeing how many prairie dogs we could spot in the park.

Make sure you visit Custer State Park on your trip through South Dakota, and take a jeep ride too!

Be the first to like.

{ 6 comments… read them below or add one }

Randy Atkins July 12, 2013 at 5:47 pm

Hi Katlyn,

Thanks for the info on Custer State park. We’ll be up in that area in a couple of weeks and look forward to a trip through the park. Are there any restrictions on Recreational Vehicles, Campers, etc? Also, are there any restrictions on pet dogs?

Thanks,

Randy

Katlyn Richter July 15, 2013 at 8:27 am

Hi there Randy,
I think this link will help answer all of your questions. The links on the right hand side also contain more information: http://gfp.sd.gov/state-parks/directory/custer/

Thanks for reading!
Katlyn

pat little July 24, 2013 at 8:48 pm

Can you give me some information about the jeep rides? How much do they cost? Where to you get your tickets and will they be available in September? I have looked at several sites that talk about them but nothing that will let me get the previous asked questions answered.
thanks,
pat

Katlyn Richter July 25, 2013 at 7:56 am

Hi there Pat,
Yes there is a link here for more information about the Jeep Ride: http://www.custerresorts.com/up/2013%20CSP%20Activity%20Brochure%20FINAL(1).pdf . If that link doesn’t work, try this one and then click on the link that says “Click here for our…” http://www.custerresorts.com/about/things-to-do/ and there will more more information on the jeep rides.

Yes, they are available in September. Pricing details should be on the provided link. You check in at the Custer State Park Game Lodge to purchase tickets.
If you have further questions, you can call the Custer Resort company at 888-875-0001.

Thanks for your interest,
Katlyn

vaughn mason April 9, 2014 at 7:53 am

Please send information on RV parks in the custer and badlands area. we plan to travel their in aug.

Katlyn Richter April 14, 2014 at 9:07 am

Hi there Vaughn,
We have a listing on our website, TravelSD.com, of some of the RV sites in the state. You can filter by region or by category here: http://www.travelsd.com/Lodging . I hope this listing helps.